Photo by Heather Mount
On the morning of March 22, a shooting occurred at the Covenant School in Nashville, TN.
In this Kudzu narrative brief, we are examining how the U.S media has reacted to this tragic shooting:
- Three children and three staff members were killed: Evelyn Dieckhaus, Mike Hill, William Kinney, Katherine Koonce, Cynthia Peak, and Hallie Scruggs.
- The shooter was a former student of the school
- The victims do not appear to have been targeted
- The assailant was under a doctor's care for an “emotional disorder”.
- All firearms had been purchased legally.
- Two of the seven firearms were AR-15 assault rifles.
- The shooter left behind a manifesto that has not been made public at the time of writing.
- There have been 3,726 mentions of “Nashville Police” which is by far our leading key term in this brief. This is mostly to do with the fact that Nashville police have been issuing statements all week regarding the event, but it may also be concerning the police department's rapid response time in taking down the shooter. This has been a popular narrative in the last 3 days of the story.
- Fox News is our most popular source on this topic, with 140 narrative items in this brief. Many of the keywords amplified by Fox News have been “transgender” and “trans-rights”.
- Our most popular type of bias in this story, based on types of outlets, was “least bias”. This is a good sign that the story is being covered with fewer personal opinions than some other topics.